Sunday, September 23, 2012

Autumnal Equinox 2012

The first day of fall justified a photo journey - perfect weather, just enough fog, and approximately 200 miles and 250 photos later...returned home.  After editing, or rather removing the not quite right ones, still had 189 that I just could not remove.  Granted, some appear to be duplicates, but the bayou just was overwhelmingly beautiful.

Wandered from home, to Surfside, to Bryan Beach, and then to Texas Art Asylum.  Scenic route home included The Heights.

And now back to the real world.  Finished a project that has been "in the works" for quite some time.  As is usual, not what I envisioned, but it is satisfactory. The holder is a vintage metal milk can.  Have been using as umbrella stand, but it was truly meant to hold brooms.


Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Repurpose...reuse...

Into What ?  is the question of the day.  Found a gentleman on Craig's list that had piano parts - no ivory - but wood from the keys and the entire "guts" still assembled.  

He generously allowed me to fill two baskets of loose wooden pieces and two fully assembled structures.  I will keep what appears to be the oldest one [he claimed it was from a player piano] and disassemble.  


Once I look at the parts...and ponder...and ask for suggestions here...
They will be repurposed.  My son & his better half gave me a large collection of player piano rolls a few years ago.  I've used the paper on a few projects but it is not the most pliable / cooperative of papers for repurposing.  Maybe the paper rolls and the piano will be meshed in some manner...
Before proceeding to disassemble, I did take it structure out to the backyard and take a few pictures.  Beautiful wood and just a touch of green and red colors in the felt.



Sunday, September 16, 2012

A month.. almost...



...has passed.  Between travel adventures to see "Ollie D" [Oliver's Rapper Name], having the wonderful opportunity to "meet" my niece again for the first time, and the challenges of being part of the working class I have not been able to return to my the ideas and projects in the works.  

Today I finished the latest Witch's Hat Box.  Yes, made one in the past and gave it to a dear friend.  Also, when cleaning out the storage closet discovered another fall box.  None the less, I had the box and new techniques I wanted to try.  In order to show aging of the paint, used Elmer's Glue mixed with water for the crackle effect.  The overlay of paint appeared "pinkish" rather than the deep maroon I had hoped for, so used wood stain on top of base paint, crackle, and maroon paint.  Finally achieved the color I was looking for.  Then painted the top band black ~ mistake....so overlaid it with ribbon and, of course, a few buttons.   All imprints are transfers using modge podge.  The hats were purchased over a year ago ~ just waiting for the appropriate container.   I consider it DONE...but ...always a but...decided to do a travel journal.  So, on to the writing a Witch's Travel Journal....




If the broom fits...ride it !!