Saturday, July 28, 2012

 
Started working with a piece of driftwood based on a comment from a friend...I thought it would be a perfect front on a birdhouse I had purchased.  Utilized citra solv papers, button, sticks, bark from a tree, even a Christmas decoration (the metal cut out bird). Able to test out aging wood shingles with vinegar - it worked !! And the driftwood did not work...so the mini feather wreath replaced it.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Now that was almost a wasted effort...mowing the lawn that is.  It is raining...again.. Planned on beginning yard work this evening, but that has been put off as the thunderstorms roll through.
I am using the time well.  Discovered some new creation techniques thanks to Pinterest -  Aging wood pieces in vinegar that had a piece of rusty metal soaking in it.  Makes new wood take on the look of old barn wood.  And discovered acrylic paint skins.  Takes patience - must allow to set and dry for at least 24 hours. When dry, will be able to apply Golden Digital Grounds and then run through ink jet printer.  Obviously there is little space left in my work area what with aged wood ready for application and a couple acrylic skins in the drying process......
So, due to lack of space, went miniature.  Created a small witch's hat box.  The label is printed on a leather tag - utilizing digital grounds for non-porous materials.  The hat and book in the box are buttons .  The outside of the hatbox has travel stickers.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thanks to the rain, spent a considerable amount of time knocking back the jungle that had overtaken the back yard.  The storms forced be to mow in sections - which is probably a good thing considering the heat and my age.  
In addition to the grass growing at a record pace and the fire ants building new mounds, my re-potted bird of paradise plant has bloomed.  It began in a 5" pot 3 years ago.  It has been separated and re-potted twice now.  And strangely enough, only the one plant in the pot is blooming.  The ones planted in the garden are not.  They are healthy and putting out new growth, but no blooms.

Now on to other projects which include setting up a store front on Etsy.  Wish me luck....

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

We prayed for rain....and we most definitely received it.  No longer say anything remotely like drought.  The cracks in the ground have healed and the grass and plants are growing very well.  
And thanks to the rain, stayed focused on a few projects that have accumulated.  Visited Texas Art Asylum in Houston a few weeks ago and purchased two beautiful wood frames.  It was interesting that I was drawn to do something on the back rather than front [perspective always off kilter...].  The frames have channels that allowed insertion of wine corks {after they had been sawed in half - challenging right there} and the other I hammered dominoes into the frame.  The center board is painted with magnetic paint, with chalk board paint over it.  Both a little rough...but interesting.  
Then, thanks to Theresa, have a metal tray with dragonflies.  It was "nice enough" but quit plain.  I added a small amount of paint to the dragonflies on handle, some sparkle to wings, citra solv paper to center and then a few acetate embellishments.
It is STILL raining...so back to creating...




Thursday, July 5, 2012


Went on scavenger hunt yesterday for a piece of metal - - but then I found MAGNETIC paint !!! Had seen it mentioned but thought it would be strictly professional use or out of my budget...found it at Hobby Lobby.  Sprayed a board and waiting for it to cure...then top with chalkboard paint.  This will combined with photo frames that I alter the BACKS.  They were designed with a channel that I have filled - one with dominoes [not so good of a fit] and the other with cork.  Hope to post photos soon...Then on to next project....