Happy New Year !! 2009

For numerous reasons {some good, some just strange} I have looked at myself and seen others. Or others impact on me. I will soon be 59, the age my mother was when she died. I see the widow’s peak like my father. And the bulb at the end of my nose that is so Duffy. There are the camouflage eyes ~ no longer refer to them as hazel. Partly because of the odd southern twist on it but mainly due to the way they change and reflect the colors I wear. For the longest I would not wear yellow clothes because my eyes looked spooky and I was concerned what others thought. Now I enjoy the skewed coloring. I do wonder if they will change to brown as my father’s did.
I have developed the overhanging eyelids like my mother but this is a combination of heredity and circumstances. And the wrinkles !! although I prefer to think of them as the rings in a tree. Count them, divide by 76, and you have my age. The divide by number will increase in time. It is factored like the calculation of a dog’s age.
There are a few scars thanks to my #1 son and the year we couldn’t explode a toilet so settled for a television. Isn’t it amazing what you do for the love of your kids. There was an exploding commode at a different time. Not quite intentional. Started a fire in the bowl then foolishly put it out with water. Yep, exploded commode. Location backyard. Cleanup mandatory.
And my friend’s influence in what I wear. It is ok to be exotic even if you are the only one to enjoy it.

When I faced 50, I had the Glamor Shots experience. Even then I was shocked at how I resembled my mother. One photo has me decked out in a leather jacket ~ that photo caused them all to go into permanent storage. I saw my mother in a leather jacket and my mind just spun out of control.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the "camouflage eyes"! Kathy calls mine the cat's eyes. I personally like to wear yellow sometimes just so my eyes look spooky to people. I guess that makes me just like my mom! :)
Unknown said…
Thank you for suffering injury for those childish impulses. I truly appreciate it, even now when I wouldn't be so tempted towards setting fire to every thing left on the neighborhood sidewalk for trash pickup.
Those were the days.

p.s. Believe it or not, Wharmby still has burn-a-thons every New Year's and 4th of July at some undisclosed location in Sweeny.

Popular Posts